Please rate my dragon monotype team. [OU]

Post your Pokémon Showdown teams for review and discussion.

Postby Eyeballz60 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Well, this is my second rate my team. My first one sucked. Well here we go.

Number 1 is Garchomp

Skitty (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Fire Fang
Usually start with this because of its speed and the life orb helps a whole bunch too its moves can hit lots of different types.
Once I swept 6-0 with this guy when I started with him, the battle was 6 turns.

Number 2 is Dragonite

Charizard (Dragonite) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake
I orbed lots of pokemon cos I think it's better than choice band. It's moves are for lots of different types and extremespeed to finish the opponent off. Ur probably thinking I'm stupid for no dragon dance but believe me this team works.

Number 3 is Salamence

Salad (Salamence) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Blast
- Roost
I start with a dragon dance then kill the opponent then after with moxie I can sweep the opponents team with outrage, fire blast is for annoying steel types and setter uppers and roost is to heal if it's HP gets low.

Number 4 is Hydreigon

Hi Dragon! :D (Hydreigon) @ Choice scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 spd / 4 def
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco meteor
- Surf
- Fire Blast
I scarfed this thing for a drago meteor scarfed combo (together they can rule the world) Fire blast just like salamence for ferrothorns and other things. Surf is for other type coverage and dark pulse is probably gonna be replace but I don't know what to replace it with.

Number 5 is Haxorus

Iron man (Haxorus) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Aqua Tail
This haxorus is mainly used for electric types like jolteon that have HP-ice cos they are very annoying. Outrage to kill 1 or 2 of the opponents pokemon if not a sweep. Superpower for type coverage and aqua tail for more type coverage.

Number 6 is Kingdra

Clair (Kingdra) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Flail
- Iron Head
I could not choose between sniper or damp so in the end I got sniper. Outrage of coarse. Waterfall for STAB and type coverage. Flail if I'm dying it really helps. Iron head to surprise those ice types.

One last thing I would like to say, I don't like to use legendaries they are too over powered and I think latios, latias and black kyurem SHOULD GO TO UBER.
Last edited by Eyeballz60 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeballz60

Postby The-Me » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 am

Add sprites. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=865

Now a quick rating:

1. It's a monodragon. Monodragons are boring.
2. Maybe give Stealth Rocks to 'Chomp to break sashes?
3. Choice Items > Life Orb IMO
4. Choice Scarf Haxorus is weird, but whatever. Kyurem-B could work better for that.
5. Flail on Kingdra is useless, replace it with DD, Sub or Rain Dance (have Swift Swim BTW) Ice-types are no problem for you, especially against Kingdra, so replace that with something.

I'm out.
わたし わ テーマ です
Aurorus has Snow Warning and will make it to OU? NOT ON MY WATCH. Avatar stolen from UOS, using extreme violence.
Arcticblast wrote:LET MY INSULT GUIDE YOU TO VICTORY
The-Me

Postby Eyeballz60 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:54 am

The-Me wrote:Add sprites. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=865

Now a quick rating:

1. It's a monodragon. Monodragons are boring.
2. Maybe give Stealth Rocks to 'Chomp to break sashes?
3. Choice Items > Life Orb IMO
4. Choice Scarf Haxorus is weird, but whatever. Kyurem-B could work better for that.
5. Flail on Kingdra is useless, replace it with DD, Sub or Rain Dance (have Swift Swim BTW) Ice-types are no problem for you, especially against Kingdra, so replace that with something.

I'm out.

If you read the end you would know I don't like using legendaries and I think they should go to uber.
I like life orb cos it increases atk and I don't like being choiced but I know choice band does more damage.
The scarfed hax is for fast elec types with HP-ice cos ofcoarse my team has an extreme weakness to ice only 1 pkmn can deal with it (kingdra)so I wanted more coverage for jolteons. Also rain dance on kingdra is something I don't want cos it halfes my fire blast power. It gets annoying facing ferrothorns that way.
Eyeballz60

Postby Kingler12345 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:08 am

1. Monodragon. Boring.
2. You said legendaries were OP. In my opinion, that shows that you don't have enough knowledge about the metagame.
I'd second the-me's suggestion of getting scarf kyurem black instead of haxorus.
Kingler12345

Postby i am not » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Are you saying that moltres should be uber? Not ru? Alot of legendaries are not good enough for the ou tier!
I might be back later for a rate
If you win because of a crit or some other form of luck, than you win.

If you win despite a crit or some other form of luck, than you are a true master.
i am not

Postby SteelGhostie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm

This looks like a good team. Dragon monotype is fun, and with the fairies coming soon from XY, there's not much time left to spam Dragons.

That being said, there is a lot that can be changed with this team to make it a little bit more competitively viable. As most Dragon spam is offensive/hyper-offensive, perhaps you should consider, as The-Me said, a RockChomp. The set that I recommend is as such:

Image @ Focus Sash
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly or Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance / Fire Blast

This Garchomp is awesome for your team because it keeps doing the things your original set does, but also lays a hazard and beats opposing leads. Rough Skin breaks opposing sashes, and with Swords Dance, you can sweep whole teams that don't pack a powerful Choice Scarf. Earthquake even 2HKOs Ferrothorn at a +2! Fire Blast can offer more power immediately for Ground-neutral Steels, and beats Ferro and Skarmory exceptionally well. A Focus Sash of your own does cause a bit of a drop in power, but will let you guarantee either a setup opportunity or rocks on the opposing side of your field. I cannot urge you to use this set enough.

When it comes to Dragonite, I really think you should either (a) slap a Choice Band on him or if you're opposed to that, run Roost instead of Earthquake. Except for Heatran, Earthquake gives you no additional coverage, and you need Roost to maintain survivability if you're adamant about running Life Orb. Also, Multiscale on Dragonite, won't disappoint, please use it.

Salamence is just fine for the most part, but I'd consider replacing Roost, as Mence has little surviving ability anyway. Dragon Claw is great if you don't want to lock Outrage, and Earthquake nails those annoying Heatrans that would cold stop your Mence sweep.

Hydreigon has a few options. First off, dual scarves on Pokemon with little offensive synergy doesn't make a lot of sense, so perhaps a Choice Specs set is preferable, so you can hit like a truck against those that don't resist Draco Meteor. Another option is a Substitute Hydrei, which is actually quite good and has impeccable coverage.

Haxorus is not an amazing Choice Scarfer to begin with, but I see what you mean by Jolteons. If you're willing to change up the Scarf position a bit (maybe switch with Mence?), you can run the amazing Swords Dance Haxorus, who will break the walls that you have trouble with, almost guaranteed.

Kingdra is... a weird choice. You should always run Swift Swim on Kingdra in OU, as it's only niche (beating Rain Teams) is completely canceled if you run Sniper. Flail is so useless it's not even funny. Iron Head doesn't make a lot of sense, as Ice types will still kill your team regardless of whether you have an admittedly underpowered Steel move or not. Dragon Dance is perfectly usable on Kingdra, and if you're sure you don't want to do that, at least run Yawn or something.

In summation:
Please make Garchomp a Rocksetter.
Dragonite should either get a Band or Roost.
Salamence should nix Roost and go with Earthquake or Dragon Claw.
Hydreigon should be Specs or Substitute.
Haxorus is mostly fine.
Kingdra should ditch Iron Head and Flail, and run something with more utility.
Some Russian Guy I Battled on PS with my Dragon Monotype wrote:riofletosky: nice game dragon boy
riofletosky: search for your own dragon
riofletosky: is in yourself

Avatar courtesy of PS's own favorite artist, User of Shadows.
SteelGhostie

Postby Scene » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:42 am

Heya!

People have given some great suggestions already. Use SteelGhostie's Garchomp set (with Fire Blast) and Earthquake over Roost on Salamence. I'd also suggest you change Dragonite to Choice Band.

As much as you don't like legendaries the purpose of posting a RMT is to improve your team, and I think you'd find a Scarf Latios superior to Hydreigon. The Kingdra set is kind of useless, you could try this nifty set to reset Hail and sweep: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse / Surf / Rain Dance with a Life Orb. Kyurem-B is also better than Haxorus for everything you're using it for, no question, so if you want to make your team better try it out.

Hope I helped, and good luck!
if you want to contact me, hit me up on Smogon: http://www.smogon.com/forums/members/scene.191866
Scene
Simulator Leader

Return to Rate My Team