Please rate my OU-monotype Bug team

Post your Pokémon Showdown teams for review and discussion.

Postby Laggalot101 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:09 am

I have a bug-monotype team which I've recently built, and it's doing decent, but I'm not satisfied, so I'd like to hear you guys's opinions and feedback on it. To be extra clear, this team is for OU-monotype battles only.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

Forretress is practically manditory. Bug teams are obviously very weak to stealth rock, and Forry is pretty much the only reliable spinner amongst bug types. I don't think Armaldo is good enough for this purpose. Aside from spinning, Stealth Rock is pretty self-explanatory, Volt Switch exists for momentum grabbing and anti-trapping, and Gyro Ball is usefull for wearing down faster threats.

Forry's main issue is that it becomes setup fodder easily. Volt Switch migitates this somewhat, aside from obvious Ground types, such as Garchomp.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona is the main setup sweeper of this team, and usually the pokemon to get me out of tough spots. While it is weak to Stealth Rock, it can often set up on weaker (preferably special) attackers. Quiver Dance, Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz shouldn't need much of an explanation. I chose HP ground in order to get past Heatran and Tentacruel and the like, and I much prefer it over giga drain or other hidden power options.

The issue with Volcarona is that setting up can be difficult at times, though thanks to Life Orb it can hit hard immediately. That same Life Orb also makes Volcarona easily worn down, though. Passive damage in all its forms are a big issue for volcarona. Furthermore, strong priority such as E-speed or aqua jet can end Volcarona's sweep early.

Bosscavalier (Escavalier) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SDef / 248 HP
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Pursuit
- Sleep Talk

Against better judgment, probably, I chose Escavalier over Scizor, and I don't want 3 pokes with the same typing on my team if I can help it. I like breaking the mold. Anyway, Escavalier hits incredibly hard with Choice Band, especially its Megahorn. There is very little that appreciates taking a hit from this thing, and Escavalier's also pretty good at taking hits. Sure, it's incredibly slow, but it does put the occasional Trickroom team to a complete stop, even though they are rare. It's got its 2 strongest STAB moves, pursuit to trap dangerous psychic and ghost types, and Sleep Talk as a niche move for the occasional Spore or Hypnosis.

Escavalier's has 2 pretty big issues, though. While not many pokes can stand up to it, a few pokemon can reliably come in and wall it, such as Heatran. Furthermore, Fire types wreck it. That being said, most pokemon that can OHKO Escavalier are 2HKO'd at worst themselves, so it isn't countered easily.

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break
- Quick Attack

Scyther fulfills a niche role on my team, in the form of fast choice scarf U-turn. It's only moderately powerfull, but it has saved my team a good few times. Thanks to its 105 base speed, it can outrun many threats, such as +1 Volcarona. U-turn is for momentum grabbing, and is great for annoying grass, Dark and Psychic types. Aerial Ace is the main attacking move when I want Scyther to stay in, and does decent damage to those with low defense or a weakness to flying, partly thanks to Technician. Brick Break is filler to KO weakened steel, normal and rock types, though it's still not very strong. Quick attack is the only priority on this team.

The Issue with Scyther is as I've already stated, it's not very strong. While it can KO some very dangerous threats that are weak to flying/bug (Volcarona) or weak in defense, it doesn't do enough damage to most healthy threats. Also, if locked into anything other than U-turn, it becomes setup fodder, although the opponent may not immediately realise this, due to Scyther's naturally good speed.

Heracross @ Salac Berry
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

A bit of a gimmicky set, and probably the pokemon I'm looking into replacing or changing the most. The idea is to sub down to Salac berry range and sweep with moxie boosts, but that hasn't worked out for me a lot. It's also very vulnerable to priority and passive damage that bypasses substitute. It does pack a bit of a surprise factor, though.

Close Combat and Megahorn are powerfull STAB moves that can lay the hurt on nearly anything, Stone Edge is coverage and Substitute is to bring my HP down to Salac range and to prevent statusses. The strategy works best against a faster opponent, as I end up with a sub in front of me when Salac activates, but that's hard to pull off.

Heracross is also my single most reliable check to Heatran. While it's not impossible to deal with Heatran without Heracross, I usually end up having to sac something in the process. The issue with Heracross, though, is that it is simply either not fast enough for what it tries to do, or can't take hits well enough before it gets to salac range (at which point it becomes nearly irrelevant).

That being said, I have had some lucky situations where I could Switch in Hera as death fodder for like Starmie or Latios, and it happens to live with a smidgeon, after which Salac activates and I can OHKO with Megahorn. Not sure if that counts for something in Heracross's favor.

Galvantrolla (Galvantula) @ Life Orb
Trait: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Galvantula is just incredibly fun to use. It sits at a convenient 108 base speed, and with Life Orb, is decently powerfull. This thing often can wreck Water and Flying monotype teams like no other thanks to its very accurate thunder (which is quite powerfull) and Giga Drain for the likes of Rotom-W. I chose HP Ice on this thing above others, because Galvantula sits at a speed that just beats most dragons, such as Salamence, Hydreigon, Dragonite and Garchomp. Nothing on my team can lay a hurt on Dragon teams as well as Galvantula can.

Of course, Galvantula too has its issues. Galvantula is rather frail, so anything with a higher speed or defenses to survive Galvantula's attacks can likely OHKO it in return. Galvantula is also somewhat vulnerable to priority and he has a tendancy to get trolled by surprise choice scarves.

So, that's about it. I hope this gives you a good insight into my team and I'm looking forward to your feedback. Please argumentate your suggestions well, I'll take anything with good arguments into consideration. If I forgot to mention anything improtant, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
Laggalot101

Postby Laggalot101 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:52 am

/bump

(Sorry if I wasn't actually allowed to bump; I couldn't find any rules regarding bumping threads)
Laggalot101

Postby Kingler12345 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:02 am

I'm pretty sure it's ok to bump. Anyways, standard sets, I can't really find many faults, since bug doesn't have too many useful dual typings.
Kingler12345

Postby Zarix Bug Leader » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:57 am

On your volcano a you should use hidden power rock, be people will use fire or flying against you and rock is super effective against both
Zarix Bug Leader

Postby The-Me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:12 am

Zarix Bug Leader wrote:On your volcano a you should use hidden power rock, be people will use fire or flying against you and rock is super effective against both

Laggalot101 wrote:I chose HP ground in order to get past Heatran and Tentacruel and the like, and I much prefer it over giga drain or other hidden power options.

Really, Zarix? And what about Rock? You think Rock isn't a problem against Bug type?

BTW, your Volcarona needs means of recovery. You can choose: Lefties, Roost or Giga Drain. I'd suggest Giga Drain, as it can recover health and deal with pesky Water, Ground and Rock-types (Tentacruel could run Liquid Ooze, but that's unlikely). I know, you want to get past Heatran, but what is Heatran gonna do to you, anyway? ...Hm... Roar or Toxic maybe...OK, I'm not that helpful...

I'm out.
わたし わ テーマ です
Aurorus has Snow Warning and will make it to OU? NOT ON MY WATCH. Avatar stolen from UOS, using extreme violence.
Arcticblast wrote:LET MY INSULT GUIDE YOU TO VICTORY
The-Me

Postby i am not » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Ok well the entomologist in me wants to commend you for an insecterific team!

So onto the rate:
Fortress: bring on dem rocks! Have you considered spikes> volt switch more hazzards should help, or you could go for toxic spikes.
Nora: whatever you do, keep hp ground! Stinks to be walled by heatran who can set up rocks and roar you away, its not like fortress can come in on him to spin.
Escalaveer: um, sir, is it supposed to have sleep talk? Without rest? *reads* is it really all that common?
Scyther: ok well just ok not sure what else to say.
Herracross: gimmick I like scarf moxi cross but you have a lot of choice items
If you win because of a crit or some other form of luck, than you win.

If you win despite a crit or some other form of luck, than you are a true master.
i am not

Postby Laggalot101 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 am

Quick reply to I am not's post.

On Forretress, I find the momentum volt switch gains me to be quite valuable, especially with it being slow and bulky. Of course, this fails against ground type pokemon, but Forretress is one of the few things that let me switch reliably, seeing as my team is quite frail barring Forretress and Escavalier. Spikes is something I could consider, Toxic Spikes is not. Again, my team doesn't stall well at all and it's an offensive team in the first place, making T-spikes very difficult to take advantage of. That, and I have bad experiences trying to utilize T-spikes.

Escavalier has Sleep Talk for the occasional spore or hypnosis user. Escavalier really lacks moveslot options. That being said, I am considering replacing Sleep Talk with Return, which can get past some threats more easily, such as Thundurus-T or fire types. (Not like Escavalier will ever outspeed a Fire type bar Torkoal, but whatever)

Also, thanks for everyone's input so far, even if it's not a lot.
Laggalot101

Return to Rate My Team