RMT - UU

Post your Pokémon Showdown teams for review and discussion.

Postby WolvenCarnus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 am

Hey, figured I might as well try my hand at it. I like this team, but I wanna know what you guys think.

Marvelous (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Hypnosis
- Dragon Tail

I really don't know what behooved me to do so, but as soon as I built this team, I wanted to use Milotic. She acts a sort of mixed wall, as well as burn fodder. With Marvel Scale and natural special bulk, combined with max HP, she's intended to take pretty much any non-SE hit thrown her way. Hypnosis to shut down annoyances like Umbreon or other bulky waters like Suicune or Slowbro, Scald to do damage and deal out burns to even further increase her physical defense, Recover to recover, Dragon Tail to phaze out those who think they can set up on her.

Cerberus (Houndoom) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk

For whatever reason, nobody expects Houndoom to be Scarfed. As it is, he's my pure special attacker, and the only fully offensive special on my team. HP Grass for Swampert and other Water and Rock annoyances, Dark Pulse and Flamethrower for reliable STAB, Sleep Talk so I can fodder him to common UU sleeping move users.

Mr. Dream (Machamp) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge

Fuck yeah LumChamp. Pretty much the same as it was in DPPt, It's bulky and hits like a freight train. DynamicPunch for STAB and confusion, Ice Punch for Pokemon like Flygon and Gligar, Bullet Punch to get in that last hit before anybody else, Stone Edge to OHKO the common Chandelure and Froslass switch-in, and deal more damage than Ice Punch against Pokemon like Togekiss. I don't like staying in against Cofagrigus, so no Payback.

Gohdan (Claydol) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Light Screen
- Ice Beam

Rocker and spinner, as well as a special wall. Light Screen, I honestly don't know why I use - Reflect might work better, but it also helps to support my generally low-SpDef offensive Pokemon. Ice Beam over STAB to deal with fellow tanks and spinnner, as well as a bit of security.

Evil Eye (Dusclops) @ Eviolite
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Impish Nature
- Pain Split
- Seismic Toss
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

I only just realized my defensive core is Pure Gen 3. Oh well. I, personally, don't understand the hate on Eviolite Dusclops - it has served me beautifully in the past, taking hits like a champ and sponging up Fighting type moves for my attackers. Pain Split for damage/recovery, effective due to Dusclops' low HP stat, Seismic Toss for consistent damage, Substitute for extra survivability against Toxic and the like, WoW for continual damage and physical crippling.

D'artagnan (Cobalion) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Swords Dance

The only set-up Pokemon on my team. Having Cobalion and Machamp on the same team might seems odd, but it works well with Dusclops and Claydol to soak up Dark type moves outside of Pursuit. You have no idea how many Foul Plays and Crunches he's taken. I carry T-Wave to help cripple opponents and give me a bit more wiggle room for setting up. Iron Head and Sacred Sword for your standard dual-STAB, and I prefer using Sacred Sword to bypass, primarily, Bulk Up Scrafty's defenses, as well as hit with a strong Fighting move without dropping my own defenses (Close Combat, I'm looking at you.) So, sacrificing damage for survivability. Combined with +2 and LO, though, he's still a force to be reckoned with, and I often save him to use as my late-game sweeper.
[23:33:34] %Starmaster: I'm an idiot btw I'm not gonna say this again so here's ur chance

[01:10:18] +Dudeman130498: what is this, 1634?
[01:10:30] @KinKaida: i think even in 2013 we are suspicious of tigers that can do math
WolvenCarnus

Postby Kingler12345 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:55 am

Right off the bat, interesting team. But suppose a mienshao plus something like a chandelure? Your whole team gets destroyed, maybe not milotic.
Hypnosis on milotic? Situational, sorry but you need to change that.
Scarfed houndoom? Interesting. Though for me taunt and nasty plot would be better.
Cool team. That's all for now.
Kingler12345

Postby TheEeveeAnimations » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 pm

A few things.
One, hypnosis? seems odd to me. Try Toxic.
Two, Sleep Talk? Only sleep inducer in UU I believe is the rare Amoonguss, so seems yet again a bit too dependent on situation.
Also, your team seems weak to Water, and HP Grass won't take care of all of it. Think about a Grass type or just keep on using Milotic. :/
Otherwise, good team. Hate to face that on the ladder.
Bro, if you put that Evolution stone anywhere near me, i will Bite your face and then proceed to give you a papercut with Trump Card.
TheEeveeAnimations

Postby WolvenCarnus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:47 pm

TheEeveeAnimations wrote:Two, Sleep Talk? Only sleep inducer in UU I believe is the rare Amoonguss, so seems yet again a bit too dependent on situation.

Hypnosis Bronzong, occasionally Relic Song Meloetta, and Sleep Powder Roserade. Honestly, it's more of a filler-move than anything else - I kinda want Houndoom to remain pure special, since I dislike mixed attackers. I was running Snarl for a while to cripple special attackers, but found that even more situational.
[23:33:34] %Starmaster: I'm an idiot btw I'm not gonna say this again so here's ur chance

[01:10:30] @KinKaida: i think even in 2013 we are suspicious of tigers that can do math
WolvenCarnus

Postby TheEeveeAnimations » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:53 am

WolvenCarnus wrote:
TheEeveeAnimations wrote:Two, Sleep Talk? Only sleep inducer in UU I believe is the rare Amoonguss, so seems yet again a bit too dependent on situation.

Hypnosis Bronzong, occasionally Relic Song Meloetta, and Sleep Powder Roserade. Honestly, it's more of a filler-move than anything else - I kinda want Houndoom to remain pure special, since I dislike mixed attackers. I was running Snarl for a while to cripple special attackers, but found that even more situational.

Welp, I've never seen Sleep Powder Roserade because it's not compatible with Spikes, but alright. Try running Overheat for pure revenge killing and power.
Other than that, yet again, good team.
Bro, if you put that Evolution stone anywhere near me, i will Bite your face and then proceed to give you a papercut with Trump Card.
TheEeveeAnimations

Postby Closet » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:51 pm

So hey. First off, good choice in tier. UU = Best tier ;)
I'm Closet, a guy who's been playing UU probably since the beginning of this year. (iirc) Never got up to any ladder, but I'd like to say I have pretty good knowledge.

BTW: think I seem kinda aggressive in this post I guess, but I'm not trying to be like, rude or anything <:/. I'm just giving suggestions/throwing thoughts out there. I'M A NICE PESRON

My first impressions on your team, along with in-depth thoughts and stuff, in order of importance (pretty much, anyway):

-You don't need a spinner.
Houndoom is your only SR weak mon, and on this balanced-ish type of team, Rapid Spin really kills your momentum. IF you really want to keep it, (Spike-o-phobia) don't use Claydol. Hitmontop, Blastoise, or even Cryogonal are better choices, with Intimidate/Good Typing/Good Speed respectively. I know it's tempting with it's levitate and Stealth Rock resistance, but it's weaknesses plus barren HP stat are just not viable, even with it's decent defenses. Sorry. (it does have a cool design though <3)
Also, a general rule to team building: You'd never want just one screen to use. It's either dual screens or no screens. Just a heads if you wanted to use another screens 'mon, you'd want Light Clay. Makes LightScreen/Reflect last way longer.

-You're using Houndoom incorrectly, at least in my personal opinion.
There's no real reason to use Houndoom over any of the other offensive fire types, EXCEPT for it's Anti-metagame set, which you can find on smogon when it's back up (I don't remember the EVs and stuff, iirc it was kinda complicated). This is a fun set to use (I've used it a little bit) as you play mindgames with your opponent. But, if you don't want to use that set, but still use houndoom, you could use a Nasty Plot set. Although, this is probably better for Zoroark or Mew or P-Z. I know that choice scarf seems tempting, but houndoom doesn't really work well that way, with it's notsogreat coverage and meh speed, even for a scarfer compared to two of the most common, Flygon and Mienshao. If you want a better fire type/special attacker, go for a special Victini set. I personally don't use him very much, but I've heard it's amazing. As for another scarfer, you could always try Flygon/Mienshao, both are great, or even Raikou for surprising opponents, (I know Scarfkou sounds really weird, but trust me, it's pretty fun) but be warned: Scarf Raikou with Rash Nature (the nature you have to use for AuraSphere) will NOT outspeed Jolly Scarf Mienshao.

- Dusclops. To be brutally honest, I don't see much reason to use him over Cofagrigus.
I guess he has a little bit more bulk physically, and quite a bit more specially, but Cofagrigus can actually deal some respectable damage, with Shadow Ball, while Dusclops is stuck with Seismic Toss/Night Shade. This is pretty important, as Cofagrigus can actually be threatening and not setup bait. It can also Use Toxic or Haze or other moves, iirc. I don't use the defensive set very often, so I don't remember it's fourth move, but it's generally WoW/Shadowball/Pain Split/<fourth move I can't remember, probably Haze or something>, nearly identical to your dusclops, but with a tad bit more power and more usefulness, in exchange for arguably unnecessary special defense. If you really want to stick with Clops, go ahead. He is one of my favorite mons from gen 3.

- Your Cobalion set seems indecisive. :s
There's one thing you immediately get walled by: Zapdos. This is pretty important, as an SD mon being walled by such a common mon isn't going to be very good. True, Thunder Wave will cripple it, but what then?
That aside, Cobalion is a legit dude. He has a pretty good SD set, and has a nice Utility set if you need it. I'm going to say keep the SD set. I know Thunder Wave/Iron Head strategy is tempting, but without Serene Grace it's not going to work as much, and is imo a cheap strategy (although, it is a way to win, so what I think of it morally is irrelevant). Also, I would suggest Lum Berry or Leftovers over Life Orb. Cobalion is going to end up taking a couple of repeated hits; Life Orb shortens his life by too much once you start sweeping with him. I prefer Lum Berry, just to troll Sableyes that switch in on the SD and have a 50/50 shot of get mauled by Iron Head. Correction: 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, according to Honkalculator, but just add a tad bit of prior damage, and you're good. Honkalkulator also says to use HP ice, but I question that...Oh well. You can switch moves around, as Steel isn't that good of an offensive type, even as STAB, and I guess HP ice deals with Gligar.
You could always use a utility set too; it's pretty nifty and can set up SR fairly well.

-Covering Milotic and Machamp, the two I didn't touch on:
Both seem fairly good, however...
I think Milotic would be better off with Ice Beam over Hypnosis, or Toxic or even Haze if you really want. Ice Beam is decent coverage, especially on switch ins, but Toxic and Haze are always pretty useful at times. (I know you have Dragon Tail, but INB4 Substitute; Haze is an option over Dragon Tail, if you want) Otherwise, great 'mon.
Your Machamp seems good to me. I do think a sub/lefties set would be more effective, but I don't use the muscly guy, so IDK.

Hope I helped, and happy battling! :D
I'm sorry for the wall of text that appeared, but I just had gears turning and I kept going and going... <:I
Hello Theeere
The Angel from my nightmaare. The shadow in the background of the morgue. The unsuspecting victiiim, of darkness in the valley, we can live like Jack and Sally if you want...-Blink-182<3
Closet
Simulator Mod

Postby WolvenCarnus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Alright, time for proper responses.

RE:Kingler12345
Mienshao is a known annoyance to my team. I've been debating who to use to counter it for a while now. I'm revamping Milotic's moveset, and exchanging 'Doom.

RE:TheEeveeAnimations
Milo's gettin' revamped and 'Doom's being shifted out, as I've told Kingler. Sleep is still always a concern, but I can work around it.

RE:Closet
Extremely helpful response! And really, thank you for the criticism - t'is the purpose of RMTs, I'm not gonna call this team my pet project and reject criticism. Let's take this by category...
-SPINNER/CLAYDOL
The more I think about it, the more I realize that SR isn't too great a concern, atm. Spikes are much rarer than SR, and keeping pressure on the opponent can works just as well for avoiding spikes. I also do regret my moveset choice on Claydol - I need STAB or Protect more than I need Light Screen. Claydol's getting edited.
-HOUNDOOM
Houndoom is being swapped out. Grass, Ice, Bug, and Steel, as a whole, will not be threatening my new team, so I don't need the Fire support. This will also further reduce the SR weakness in my team, making a spinner even more redundant. Side note: I do actually use Scarfkou on one of my other UU teams, and it works nicely, so it's not that weird to me.
-DUSCLOPS
While I adore its defenses, Dusclops is past the golden age where people didn't know what to do with it. Lately, it's been set-up bait, and nothing else. I am exchanging for Cofagrigus, as not only is it the bulky Ghost I need, but will deal out damage and shut down some physical Pokemon. Really, I need a dedicated defensive wall.
-COBALION
This sucker's going full offense. More below.

THE NEW TEAM
Freyja (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic

Milotic's nickname and moveset have been changed. Marvelous was kinda bland. Now, on to the moveset: Scald and Recover remain to give recovery, damage, and burn. Haze has been used to replace Dragon Tail - with the advent of Toxic, phazing becomes less desirable, and Haze will help against Substitute users.

Tygra (Raikou) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Ice]

My new scarfer. Thunderbolt for STAB, Volt Switch for momentum, Hidden Power Ice to deal with Pokemon like Flygon and Gligar, and Extrasensory to help deal with the ever-dreaded Scarfshao, and deal move damage to Roserade. Also, shiny to bluff Rash nature, assuming I don't reveal my entire movesets.

Mr. Dream (Machamp) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge

Unchanged. Moving on.

Gohdan (Claydol) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Claydol has left the role of spinner, and become a full special wall. Stealth Rock support, of course, with Psyshock to deal damage to other special walls, Protect for minor recovery and Toxic stalling. Normally, I'd dread Umbreon, but I have two fighting types to deal with it.

Iron Maiden (Cofagrigus) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp/Haze/Nasty Plot/Protect

Dusclops' replacement. Essentially the same, except highly defensively oriented, and carrying Shadow Ball. I somewhat doubt that it'll be able to deal more damage with its minimal investment, but meh. Also, I'm unsure as to what to use for its fourth move. Please put suggestions down.

D'artagnan (Cobalion) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Look ma, I'm Machamp's speedy brother!
No, but seriously, Cobalion needed Lum. Too much WoW and T-Wave in UU. Stone Edge replacing T-Wave to deal with Chandy and Zapdos.

Thoughts on the new team?

WolvenCarnus

Postby Closet » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:24 am

I like the new team a lot. Personally, I was talking about replacing Claydol, though that's just me.
But it seems really great; thank you for listening to my suggestions! ^_^
Good luck with the new, freshly-polished team!
Hello Theeere
The Angel from my nightmaare. The shadow in the background of the morgue. The unsuspecting victiiim, of darkness in the valley, we can live like Jack and Sally if you want...-Blink-182<3
Closet
Simulator Mod

Postby WolvenCarnus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:15 am

I needed rocks and a special wall, so thus the reason why I kept Claydol. Thank you for your help!

WolvenCarnus

Postby Alfalfa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:55 am

And yes, please get rid of Dusclops. It is utter garbage and Taunt bait by Sableye. Please use the above Cofagrigus sets above.
Alfalfa

Postby Kingler12345 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:04 am

Interesting team. I can't really rate it now since I haven't used most of these pokes in UU and I'm not that great at it. So, pretty solid team I guess.
Kingler12345

Return to Rate My Team