Need help with OU Dragon Monotype

Post your Pokémon Showdown teams for review and discussion.

Postby warion2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Stone Edge
- iron Head

This guy is one of the most important pokes on my team, it takes ice type moves like a champ and can ohko all but the strudiest non steel walls. iron head is for the new fairy type when 6 gen starts should the rumors be correct and a Much better answer for ice types. fusion bolt is for mainly politoeds and eletiric weak steels. stone edge is for fires and bugs. Outrage is for S.T.A.B.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

this guy gives me sr which really helps me limit threats and is my Ideal answer to cloyster by geting rid of the sash. edgequake is for coverage and Dragon Claw is S.T.A.B.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

This is for Landorus, Gliscor, Gyrados (the water flying sea serpeant) and the boltbeam combo helps with geting them. the rest is standred.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Sunny Day (not gonna change has saved me more then any other move on my team)
- Outrage

My Trump card vs rain/hail teams after k.o.ing their politoed/Abomasnow and is my primary answer to cloyster es outspeeds anything it can do outside of switch. dd and outrage with lum berry lets me get 4-5 pokes normaly

Hydreigon @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Tailwind

My only hope of keeping sr off the field and decemates ninjasks with twind and fire blast. draco meteor is stab and gives me a second special attacker.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Aqua Tail
- Brick Break
- Crunch

My mini sweeper/revenge killer. the fire water combo lets me nab some easy kos. equake and outrage can leave me in a pickle but i'm considering brick break and crunch instead.

Threats

Cloyster

I don't think much needs to be said beyond 2x atk 2xspeed skill linked icicle spear can easily sweep my team if i'm not careful

Fetterhorn

Should i face a normal ou team this under rain can wall me all day long and on a mono still can really be a pain with leech seed, hazards, and protect

heatren

somewhat difficult to face but mence is my best counter and chomp is backup.

Jirachi

Gives every poke but tailwind boosted hydreigon and chomp a headache with body slam and iron head

Politoed/Abomasnow

Summons wheather that can hurt my team

Rain

weakens fire moves
my main way to beat
steels
Hurricane can get
annoying causes sr
damage to rack up

Hail

Blizzard is made a threat with the
now 120 bp ice type move with no draw backs

Wears down 5 of my pokes with hail damage
Last edited by warion2 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warion2

Postby The-Me » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:58 am

1) Add sprites, this is a huge wall of text and a pain to read.

2) Don't take Gen 6 into account when teambuilding, so Iron Head on Kyurem is pretty weird. On the other hand, banded Kyurem doesn't have a lot of choices, so whatever. Also, banded Kyurem in general is weird, since it doesn't really need extra power. Scarf it or go basic Kyurem-B from Smogon.

3) Garchomp: Sash over Rocky Helmet, Fire Blast over Stone Edge, Dragon Claw over Outrage. Recommended evs. It works. Also, Cloyster does not take damage from Rough Skin and/or Rocky Helmet, since they inflict damage from contact moves, not physical.

4) Not having ScarfLatios on MonoDragon is a sin. Your team can be wrecked by one anyway. but if specs works better than scarf, don''t change it.

5) Dnite, Hydreigon and Mence seem to be OK, just with a bit weird movesets. If they work, don't change them.

6) Improve grammar, it gets horrible at the end.

7) ScarfLatios should be a pretty huge threat after stealth rocks. Only E-speed from Dnite can outspeed it and it can OHKO anything from your team, even with just a Dragon Pulse. See 4).

8) RainHail is extremely rare in OU, and since this is a monotype team, it's nearly impossible.
わたし わ テーマ です
Aurorus has Snow Warning and will make it to OU? NOT ON MY WATCH. Avatar stolen from UOS, using extreme violence.
Arcticblast wrote:LET MY INSULT GUIDE YOU TO VICTORY
The-Me

Postby StellaAthena » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:36 am

Don't bother with Sunny Day. You have DRAGONS. If a water team is using water moves on you, you seagoing to win. Run EQ or Fire Punch instead.
StellaAthena

Postby warion2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:54 pm

The-Me
When i get kyurem B out it takes hits and gives out k.o.s but read the playing with loaded dice article on the smog. Iron head then stone edge is better vs ice due to 30% flinich, I really have no room for a miss as ice is a huge threat to drag mono and is a good move to have in general. also mence is my scarf and really needs the speed (I try to limit scarfs on a team) rocky helmet is because of the abilty to weaken a contact move sweeper into es K.O. range. i must have gotten confused between tail slap and rock blast. The last part was an error as i tried to put them side by side. Scarf Latios is checked by sash Hydreigon's Draco Meteor and es from dnite. I put taunt on hydreigon to stop sr and spikes.

StellaAthena
I'm not joking about sunny day as it makes my team able to deal with a wide array of threats. Blizzard is now useless and gives me setup time as he misses with 50% arc. plus I'm not going to let rain get any advantage if i can help it as many rain/hail teams depend completely on their wheater being up. (they usually just use poli and abomasnow as ko fodder when no other wheather starter is seen)
warion2

Postby theartofsweep » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:30 pm

Suggestions in bold
warion2 wrote:Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Stone Edge
- iron Head

This guy is one of the most important pokes on my team, it takes ice type moves like a champ and can ohko all but the strudiest non steel walls. iron head is for the new fairy type when 6 gen starts should the rumors be correct and a Much better answer for ice types. fusion bolt is for mainly politoeds and eletiric weak steels. stone edge is for fires and bugs. Outrage is for S.T.A.B.
hold up, band? Overkill much? Try the general smogon move set i get the whole "I Carry the wrath of all the gods plus yoda" thing, but you might be disappointed to not have the lasting power.
@ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

this guy gives me sr which really helps me limit threats and is my Ideal answer to cloyster by geting rid of the sash. edgequake is for coverage and Dragon Claw is S.T.A.B.
garchomp, is a bulky sweeper not a wall. Now I get the idea, not a lot of dragons are defensive, but this guy really wants his power, or at least a scarf, garchomp is scared of like every ice move regardless of impish. It's a fact if you make gods wrath up there non choiced, you could safely run scarf. Another option is a chain chomp with steal the rocks as a coverage move. Rocky helmet has to go
Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

This is for Landorus, Gliscor, Gyrados (the water flying sea serpeant) and the boltbeam combo helps with geting them. the rest is standred.
ok well as someone else mentioned, try out scarf. You must out speed many bolt beamers you can always go back if you miss some OHKOs you want.
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Sunny Day (not gonna change has saved me more then any other move on my team)
- Outrage

My Trump card vs rain/hail teams after k.o.ing their politoed/Abomasnow and is my primary answer to cloyster es outspeeds anything it can do outside of switch. dd and outrage with lum berry lets me get 4-5 pokes normaly
ok well if you want a defensive dragon use dragonite. Dragon dance needs 3 attacking moves to really help. You have 1 that is helped by the speed boost. If you need sunny day, you should see if anyone else can learn it. Dd dragonite needs more attacks.
Hydreigon @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Tailwind

My only hope of keeping sr off the field and decemates ninjasks with twind and fire blast. draco meteor is stab and gives me a second special attacker.
seems like a cool set, but you have no dark moves (taunt doesent count)
Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Aqua Tail
- Brick Break
- Crunch

My mini sweeper/revenge killer. the fire water combo lets me nab some easy kos. equake and outrage can leave me in a pickle but i'm considering brick break and crunch instead.
replace fire blast with dragon claw, you have plenty of fire moves, and you don't want to be locked in a move that seems to hit 10% of the time. Adjust ev and nature accordingly.
Threats

Cloyster

I don't think much needs to be said beyond 2x atk 2xspeed skill linked icicle spear can easily sweep my team if i'm not careful

Fetterhorn

Should i face a normal ou team this under rain can wall me all day long and on a mono still can really be a pain with leech seed, hazards, and protect

heatren

somewhat difficult to face but mence is my best counter and chomp is backup.

Jirachi

Gives every poke but tailwind boosted hydreigon and chomp a headache with body slam and iron head

Politoed/Abomasnow

Summons wheather that can hurt my team

Rain

weakens fire moves
my main way to beat
steels
Hurricane can get
annoying causes sr
damage to rack up

Hail

Blizzard is made a threat with the
now 120 bp ice type move with no draw backs

Wears down 5 of my pokes with hail damage
When will the forums be back?
theartofsweep

Location: To the west of the northernmost point in the southern hemmisphere

Postby The-Me » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 pm

The-Me wrote:7) ScarfLatios should be a pretty huge threat after stealth rocks. Only E-speed from Dnite can outspeed it and it can OHKO anything from your team, even with just a Dragon Pulse. See 4).
warion2 wrote:The-Me
Scarf Latios is checked by sash Hydreigon's Draco Meteor and es from dnite. I put taunt on hydreigon to stop sr and spikes.

Here's the facts: Your Hydreigon has Taunt to stop opponent from setting up hazards. If opponent does get the Stealth Rock up, your Hydreigon loses its sash. If it loses its sash, your team has no checks, no counters, nothing that can even take a hit from 252 SpAtt 252+ ScarfLatios. And believe me, many Psychic teams and almost every Dragon team has ScarfLatios.

Food for thought.
わたし わ テーマ です
Aurorus has Snow Warning and will make it to OU? NOT ON MY WATCH. Avatar stolen from UOS, using extreme violence.
Arcticblast wrote:LET MY INSULT GUIDE YOU TO VICTORY
The-Me

Postby warion2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:39 pm

thank you i have considred droping a poke for latias with
Latias (F) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 Def / 44 HP
Impish Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Wish
- Earthquake