OU Monotype

Post your Pokémon Showdown teams for review and discussion.

Postby teamtesting200 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:28 pm

This is my first RMT thread. So I'm sorry if its not the best RMT. Anyway not long ago I made a monoPsychic team. It is pretty successful in OU. So now I decided to make more monotype teams. I might make one for each type.

So my next monotype is flying. Yes I know Flying is not the best monotype to use. But surprisingly it has done quite nicely so far. And I've won a good amount of battles with this team. However I feel like this team can be improved. So any suggestions/tips/advice is appreciated and I will consider every suggestion.

So here is the team at a glance:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is my lead most of the time. Depending on the situation I would either setup StealthRocks, or switch to something else such as Xatu. Bravebird is just so he isn't completely useless if Taunted.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
Thundurus-T is here to absorb incoming Electric attacks. T-bolt is his main STAB move, however Volt Switch is in case I need to switch to something else. The other moves are coverage.

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Roost

Honchkrow can be a powerful sweeper especially after just 1 Moxie boost. SuckerPunch is for anything faster that could OHKO him. Roost increases his lifespan since I find I need him to help take down fast Psychics or Ghosts (Alakazam, Lati@s)

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
- Brave Bird

I really love this Starapor set. He usually can get OHKOs or 2HKOs on quite alot of Pokemon. Bravebird is usually his attack of choice. His purpose is to come in and hit something hard and get out.

Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Roost

The problem with monoflying is the Stealthrock weakness and no rapid spinner. So Xatu is here because of Magic Bounce. Its the only way (with good prediction/mind games) to prevent SR being setup. Thunderwave is to cripple Pokemon who can outspeed my team. And roost is to keep him alive as long as possible for Magic Bounce support.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Crunch

The final spot on my team is Salamence. I chose scarf so that it can outspeed most Pokemon in OU. Fast physical sweeper. Enough said.

The main problems this team can face:
-Physical walls. Most of my team are physical attackers
-Stealth Rocks if they manage to get setup. I've still managed to win a few games even with the SR damage.
-Ice type attacks are my main problems. I don't have much of a problem with electric attacks because of Thundurus-T.

Here are a few changes I've been thinking about:
-Replace something with Gliscor
-Replace something with Gyarados.
-Replace 1 of Skarmory's moves with Spikes
teamtesting200

Postby CA ImAFancyMan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:11 pm

Would you mind posting anything you are having a problem with in general? Ex: Ghosts, Hazards, Rain, Perish Song, Tyranitar, etc.
CA ImAFancyMan

Postby Slurpuff the Tasty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:25 pm

This is a pretty decent team. There are a few things I want to go over, however.
-Note: I would not recommend trusting these suggestions 100%. I'm pretty new.

Firstly, Salamence. The set is pretty good, but one thing unnerves me. Aerial Ace. It is weak even with STAB, and it doesn't really provide good coverage, especially on a mono-flying team, where literally everything is the Flying-type. I am far from knowing a lot about Salamence, however, so I don't quite know a good replacement.

teamtesting2000 wrote:The problem with monoflying is the Stealthrock weakness and no rapid spinner.

True, but many Flying-types have Defog.

That's about all I have to say. Nice team.
Do you know how hard it is to find a Slurpuff picture for your avatar? Trust me, it ain't easy.

Eat your heart out, Aromatisse!
Slurpuff the Tasty

Return to Rate My Team