Can PS battle videos be monetized on Youtube?

Discuss anything related to Pokémon Showdown!

Postby KingTeshub » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 am

I am doing battle videos, and I wanted to monetize them on my YT channel. Is it possible to do so? I heard that if you provide narration or instructional content on games you have a chance of getting it monetized.
KingTeshub

Postby Zarel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:48 am

Zarel
Simulator Admin

Postby ArkWelder » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:10 am

King, the answer would be no because a lot of the assets used in Pokemonshowdown are owned by Nintendo, including the sprites and music. If you narrate over it it doesn't matter. Uh... if you turned of sounds and set it so your broswer doesn't display images (which I think would stop all the sprites showing), then it would be pretty much up to Zarel whether or not you could monetize. Although that would also be a shitty video.

So, the answer is probably not.
clintsaltk5k4: this guy just flare blitzed his own dragonite with talonflame
clintsaltk5k4: I can only assume this is a next level play I am incapable of understanding
ArkWelder

Postby Hackingmons » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Zarel wrote:https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/97527?hl=en

I've seen lots of videos of people doing this already and earning money off of it. Have they gotten permission from you to do so?

Assuming that the Pokemon Company hasn't taken action against this server, I'm assuming there shouldn't be a problem with the use of any Pokemon sprites.

Aside from that and getting your permission, are there any real restrictions? I'm planning on doing something similar using Pokemon showdown and was interested as well.

Your content is advertiser-friendly.
You created the content or have permission to use it commercially.
You are able to provide documentation proving you own commercial rights to all audio and video content.
Your content complies with YouTube’s Terms of Service and Community Guidelines. YouTube reserves the right to disable monetization for accounts that do not follow our guidelines.

The rest is basically generalized to "keep it legal on the internet."
Hackingmons

Postby GoldenSandslash15 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:48 pm

I have seen some PS battles on YouTube, but never monetized. If they are monetized, then maybe it was Nintendo doing their knee-jerk reaction to take money from monetizing YouTubers.

But even ignoring that, if there is a YouTube video of a PS battle and it is monetized for the user, then that's illegal. Unless you live in a place where copyright laws don't exist, like Morocco or Sweden or something.

However, just because it is illegal doesn't mean that you can't do it. You can monetize Pokémon Showdown videos. But by doing so, you allow either Zarel or Game Freak to come after you for doing so and they can take legal action against you.

Given that Game Freak isn't too hung up over people monetizing Pokémon-related videos on YouTube, I doubt that they will come after you, so you can do it without worry. But this is not a guarantee. They can still choose to come after you at any given time that they want. Zarel can do the same. I don't know how hung up he is on copyright infringement though.

From The Smog, Issue 32: "Now there is no excuse for anyone to post discussions on the PS! Forums nobody cares nor reads about."

Yeah, it's not like that's incredibly rude and offensive or anything... >_<
GoldenSandslash15

Postby Hackingmons » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:49 pm

O I see. But I see successful channels doing recorded battles and comentating on them. Isn't that illegal too then? (Talking about recording off ds games)
Hackingmons

Postby GoldenSandslash15 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Hackingmons wrote:O I see. But I see successful channels doing recorded battles and comentating on them. Isn't that illegal too then? (Talking about recording off ds games)

It is illegal, technically speaking. In most countries, anyways. But there's so many worse crimes out there that they just don't care, so it often goes unenforced.

From The Smog, Issue 32: "Now there is no excuse for anyone to post discussions on the PS! Forums nobody cares nor reads about."

Yeah, it's not like that's incredibly rude and offensive or anything... >_<
GoldenSandslash15

Postby Hackingmons » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:54 am

Alright, assuming it goes unenforced seeing as there are other rule breakers who literally get front-page featured videos I'll bite.

So asking Zarel; am I allowed to use Showdown in my videos as a means of commentating on battles?
Hackingmons

Postby Zarel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm

I can't speak for Nintendo, Game Freak, or The Pokémon Company International.

However, as the owner of Pokémon Showdown, you have my permission to use/monetize it however you see fit. You don't even need to ask; we're free and open source.
Zarel
Simulator Admin

Postby Hackingmons » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:03 pm

osm posm thanks Zarel. I'll put a link up somewhere when/if it does ever happen :P
Hackingmons

Return to Pokémon Showdown