Suggestions!

Discuss anything related to Pokémon Showdown!

Postby ShinyRiolu » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:58 pm

Random Doubles
Edit: Oops, I just saw the post or two above me that mentioned it...
ShinyRiolu
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:17 am

Postby Kingler12345 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Um Zarel, when I use a smogon set, PS gives me a suggestion for EVs of its own, not smogon's. It would be highly appreciated if you shifted the suggested EVs to the ones that smogon gives on their website. Hope this helps.
User avatar
Kingler12345
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 am
Location: Right behind you, holding a dagger.

Postby YourBoss » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:27 am

If anyone have already suggested this then I'm sorry to repeat but how about commands to check which tier a pokemon is in. Maybe include it in the /data or command such as /tier [pokemon]
%Flame Emblem: Skylight, seeing you is like seeing the sun rise over the night. Seeing you makes the nightmares turn to dreams, the spinach turn to cookies, the dusk to dawn.
Avatar made by the amazing User of Shadows not this one
User avatar
YourBoss
 
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:23 am
Location: A different place that isn't Temporal Tower's Rooftop

Postby Ketchi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:07 am

New tier: Battle Tower / Battle Subway / some other cooler name

Reason:
The only reasons why I play competitive Pokemon on the DS are for the sense of achievement by using bred/trained Pokemon, balanced parties (due to limitations), and the Battle Subway. Of course only the third can be put into Pokemon Showdown. I also extremely favour the actual DS rules of Pokemon and think there should be a tier made for them. Unfortunately though, this tier may not completely work until there are more players.

Rules of the tier: (of course these may change according to community desires)
- Essentially works exactly the same as the normal battle subway, except against real players instead of NPCs that have player's Pokemon.
- Single battles.
- You choose up to 3 Pokemon that are legal in the competitive Battle Subway from Pokemon B/W/B2/W2. This means you can use unreleased Pokemon, Thundurus (even though it's in Ubers), and can't use Victini, Jirachi, Celebi, Mew, or any others that aren't allowed in the Battle Subway.
- Only the Item, Species, and KO clauses are active. This means that the 'Sleep clause' and all other clauses are inactive.

How the 'train' works without being broken:
- Every time you win 7 times in a row, you advance to the next train.
- You battle players of the same train level.
- If you lose a total number of rounds equal to half your average win streak in the current train plus one, you will be demoted to the previous train. This completely removes the chance of an infinite train from being created by a limited number of players, should make a higher focus of players at around the second or third train, and should increase the addictiveness of the tier.

The formula of chances would be: C = 1 + (S(1) +S(2) +...S(n))/(2*n)
Where: C is the number of chances available, S(n) is the win streak of attempt n, and n is the current attempt.
If n becomes larger than C and you don't achieve a 7 win streak, you are demoted to the previous train.
Last edited by Ketchi on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ketchi
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:58 am

Postby Sturdynips » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:53 am

Maybe some kind of banner/message board system that gives info on current changes or events, eg what's being suspect tested, new seasonal ladders, OM ladders etc. This could also have a link to the relevant smogon forum thread to explain in greater detail. Seeing person after person ask what's being suspected in OU at the moment is very wearying! :P
Sturdynips
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 am
Location: Australia

Postby bObgas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:59 am

I hope this hasn't already been said (I was too lazy to go through all the posts), but we need more doubles, like Hackmon doubles.
Also, the move Defog is supposed to clear Entry Hazards, but it doesn't here.
bObgas
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:56 am

Postby Kingler12345 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:06 am

bObgas wrote:I hope this hasn't already been said (I was too lazy to go through all the posts), but we need more doubles, like Hackmon doubles.
Also, the move Defog is supposed to clear Entry Hazards, but it doesn't here.

Defog sucks anyways.
User avatar
Kingler12345
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 am
Location: Right behind you, holding a dagger.

Postby YourBoss » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am

I think this is a bit hard but, maybe a command to calculate automatically with the situation? It won't reveal the opponent pokemon but make suggestions. For example: It will look at your pokemon set and stats and calculate with opponent pokemon using the popular sets, just like a normal one with only knowing opponent's pokemon.
Ex:
[set] [our pokemon]: [our pokemon's best move] [damage] vs [set] [opponent's pokemon]

(sorry for the long post)
%Flame Emblem: Skylight, seeing you is like seeing the sun rise over the night. Seeing you makes the nightmares turn to dreams, the spinach turn to cookies, the dusk to dawn.
Avatar made by the amazing User of Shadows not this one
User avatar
YourBoss
 
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:23 am
Location: A different place that isn't Temporal Tower's Rooftop

Postby Kingler12345 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:45 am

YourBoss wrote:I think this is a bit hard but, maybe a command to calculate automatically with the situation? It won't reveal the opponent pokemon but make suggestions. For example: It will look at your pokemon set and stats and calculate with opponent pokemon using the popular sets, just like a normal one with only knowing opponent's pokemon.
Ex:
[set] [our pokemon]: [our pokemon's best move] [damage] vs [set] [opponent's pokemon]

(sorry for the long post)

That's a nice idea. I hope it is considered.
User avatar
Kingler12345
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 am
Location: Right behind you, holding a dagger.

Postby phoopes » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:23 pm

bObgas wrote:Also, the move Defog is supposed to clear Entry Hazards, but it doesn't here.


Are you sure you're thinking of Defog in the right way? It clears entry hazards on your own side of the field, not your opponent's. The only move that clears hazards on the opposite side is Rapid Spin.
phoopes
Simulator Mod
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:35 pm
Location: TTT probably forgot the joke that was here.

Postby Menace13 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:53 pm

phoopes wrote:
bObgas wrote:Also, the move Defog is supposed to clear Entry Hazards, but it doesn't here.


Are you sure you're thinking of Defog in the right way? It clears entry hazards on your own side of the field, not your opponent's. The only move that clears hazards on the opposite side is Rapid Spin.

Uhhh...pretty sure you typed everything backwards.

Defog clears entry hazards on YOUR OPPONENT'S side of the field, it does not clear entry hazards which are on your side. Thus it helps the opponent rather than you. The only move which clears hazards on YOUR side of the field is Rapid Spin.

YourBoss wrote:I think this is a bit hard but, maybe a command to calculate automatically with the situation? It won't reveal the opponent pokemon but make suggestions. For example: It will look at your pokemon set and stats and calculate with opponent pokemon using the popular sets, just like a normal one with only knowing opponent's pokemon.
Ex:
[set] [our pokemon]: [our pokemon's best move] [damage] vs [set] [opponent's pokemon]

(sorry for the long post)


The problem with this is you don't always know your opponent's Pokémon's set. It can't be automatic or that would give away what it is. Thus, using the not-built-in calculator is better. That's why they won't add an automatic calculator into battles.
User avatar
Menace13
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 am
Location: Washington, D.C.

Postby GoldenSandslash15 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:31 pm

phoopes wrote:
bObgas wrote:Also, the move Defog is supposed to clear Entry Hazards, but it doesn't here.


Are you sure you're thinking of Defog in the right way? It clears entry hazards on your own side of the field, not your opponent's. The only move that clears hazards on the opposite side is Rapid Spin.


Menace13 wrote:Uhhh...pretty sure you typed everything backwards.

Defog clears entry hazards on YOUR OPPONENT'S side of the field, it does not clear entry hazards which are on your side. Thus it helps the opponent rather than you. The only move which clears hazards on YOUR side of the field is Rapid Spin.



I think he meant that it clears the entry hazards that YOU set up, rather than the ones that YOUR OPPONENT set up.
Avatar made by User of Shadows.

From The Smog, Issue 32: "Now there is no excuse for anyone to post discussions on the PS! Forums nobody cares nor reads about."

Yeah, it's not like that's incredibly rude and offensive or anything... >_<
User avatar
GoldenSandslash15
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Southern California

Postby phoopes » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:55 pm

I think he meant that it clears the entry hazards that YOU set up, rather than the ones that YOUR OPPONENT set up.


Yes that's exactly what I meant, thank you for clearing it up.
phoopes
Simulator Mod
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:35 pm
Location: TTT probably forgot the joke that was here.

Postby YourBoss » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:13 am

YourBoss wrote:I think this is a bit hard but, maybe a command to calculate automatically with the situation? It won't reveal the opponent pokemon but make suggestions. For example: It will look at your pokemon set and stats and calculate with opponent pokemon using the popular sets, just like a normal one with only knowing opponent's pokemon.
Ex:
[set] [our pokemon]: [our pokemon's best move] [damage] vs [set] [opponent's pokemon]

(sorry for the long post)

Menace13 wrote:The problem with this is you don't always know your opponent's Pokémon's set. It can't be automatic or that would give away what it is. Thus, using the not-built-in calculator is better. That's why they won't add an automatic calculator into battles.


I meant that it won't reveal the opponent's set but make speculation against certain set. Such as when facing a Gliscor:
vs Bulky Gliscor: Ice punch 50%-55% Guarantee 2HKO
vs Offensive Gliscor: Ice Punch 100% Guarantee OHKO

Something like that. The only thing we know about the opponent is their pokemon (ofc you can make prediction yourself)
%Flame Emblem: Skylight, seeing you is like seeing the sun rise over the night. Seeing you makes the nightmares turn to dreams, the spinach turn to cookies, the dusk to dawn.
Avatar made by the amazing User of Shadows not this one
User avatar
YourBoss
 
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:23 am
Location: A different place that isn't Temporal Tower's Rooftop

Postby Kingler12345 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:30 am

phoopes wrote:
I think he meant that it clears the entry hazards that YOU set up, rather than the ones that YOUR OPPONENT set up.


Yes that's exactly what I meant, thank you for clearing it up.

I looked it up, on smogon it says it clears up all entry hazards.
User avatar
Kingler12345
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 am
Location: Right behind you, holding a dagger.

Postby Menace13 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:34 am

Kingler12345 wrote:I looked it up, on smogon it says it clears up all entry hazards.

"It will also remove Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, Mist, Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Toxic Spikes set up on the target's field."
"on the target's field."

Not your side, just the target's, and it can't target the user. It can be used to clear your own entry hazards on doubles/triples, but those metagames don't use hazards usually. Smogon's analysis SPECIFICALLY states this: "It works similarly to Rapid Spin, removing several field effects. However, its application in singles is undesirable, since if used, it will remove your own entry hazards from your opponent's side. For this reason, it is not simply useless, it is actually totally counterproductive to almost anything you could choose to do."

Source: http://www.smogon.com/bw/moves/defog
User avatar
Menace13
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 am
Location: Washington, D.C.

Postby Kingler12345 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:35 am

Menace13 wrote:
Kingler12345 wrote:I looked it up, on smogon it says it clears up all entry hazards.

"It will also remove Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, Mist, Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Toxic Spikes set up on the target's field."
"on the target's field."

Not your side, just the target's, and it can't target the user. It can be used to clear your own entry hazards on doubles/triples, but those metagames don't use hazards usually. Smogon's analysis SPECIFICALLY states this: "It works similarly to Rapid Spin, removing several field effects. However, its application in singles is undesirable, since if used, it will remove your own entry hazards from your opponent's side. For this reason, it is not simply useless, it is actually totally counterproductive to almost anything you could choose to do."

Source: http://www.smogon.com/bw/moves/defog

Ok then.
User avatar
Kingler12345
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 am
Location: Right behind you, holding a dagger.

Postby MarcoPKMN » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Ketchi wrote:New tier: Battle Tower / Battle Subway / some other cooler name

Reason:
The only reasons why I play competitive Pokemon on the DS are for the sense of achievement by using bred/trained Pokemon, balanced parties (due to limitations), and the Battle Subway. Of course only the third can be put into Pokemon Showdown. I also extremely favour the actual DS rules of Pokemon and think there should be a tier made for them. Unfortunately though, this tier may not completely work until there are more players.

Rules of the tier: (of course these may change according to community desires)
- Essentially works exactly the same as the normal battle subway, except against real players instead of NPCs that have player's Pokemon.
- Single battles.
- You choose up to 3 Pokemon that are legal in the competitive Battle Subway from Pokemon B/W/B2/W2. This means you can use unreleased Pokemon, Thundurus (even though it's in Ubers), and can't use Victini, Jirachi, Celebi, Mew, or any others that aren't allowed in the Battle Subway.
- Only the Item, Species, and KO clauses are active. This means that the 'Sleep clause' and all other clauses are inactive.

How the 'train' works without being broken:
- Every time you win 7 times in a row, you advance to the next train.
- You battle players of the same train level.
- If you lose a total number of rounds equal to half your average win streak in the current train plus one, you will be demoted to the previous train. This completely removes the chance of an infinite train from being created by a limited number of players, should make a higher focus of players at around the second or third train, and should increase the addictiveness of the tier.

The formula of chances would be: C = 1 + (S(1) +S(2) +...S(n))/(2*n)
Where: C is the number of chances available, S(n) is the win streak of attempt n, and n is the current attempt.
If n becomes larger than C and you don't achieve a 7 win streak, you are demoted to the previous train.

This is actually interesting, I think you should ask for it to be a new OM. Since I don't think there's actually a topic in this forum where to post these suggestion you should look at this: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3465956 and post it here after a OM moderator's approval: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206 I would really like to play it on PS!
User avatar
MarcoPKMN
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:02 am

Postby BetaHousing » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:50 pm

I'm not sure if it has been said, yet a /away for pm's.
It's A Lifelong Commitment.
Is In secret Love with Stroking
User avatar
BetaHousing
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:12 pm
Location: In the shadows, watching

Postby TestingSubject » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:51 am

Zarel please please please add an ''Reset rank'' button.. i know its on ur list but do it soon its heavily needed.

Thanks :3
User avatar
TestingSubject
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:57 am

Postby jj441 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:20 am

iphone app for the game. already sorta works but kinda glitchy and slow. mabye make a mobile friendly version with fewer animations accessible on the internet rather than an app?
jj441
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:20 am

Postby Goddess Briyella » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 am

I have a suggestion, and I apologize if it's already been mentioned. I skimmed over the other replies in this thread and didn't find anything about it, though.

How about an expanded registry page/window when a user wins a rated battle and is allowed to register their account? I am suggesting that this expanded page/window requires the user to read and confirm that they understand the rules before being allowed to register. Also I was thinking that some of the more basic commands could be introduced here also, such as /rank, /challenge, /learn, and /data. I think it would be a great addition that would help every new user start off as a self-sufficient presence who is aware of the rules (and the consequences of breaking them) before they even enter lobby chat. While it's true that there are a good amount of regulars that are already registered here, I understand that PS is still in a beta state and I think something like this would be beneficial as the simulator becomes more increasingly popular and the amount of users continues to rise. ^_^
Come hang out with us in the "Little Cup" room on PS!

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/littlecup
User avatar
Goddess Briyella
Simulator Driver
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:00 am
Location: Fortree City, Hoenn

Postby p3ds » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:45 pm

What about importing .pkm files for pokemon, so, if for VGC, you can test with your own team, or you can use what you have available on pokecheck to use.
User avatar
p3ds
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:10 am

Postby Skalayle » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:11 pm

The first thing i would like to recommend. I think there should be like a nature command /nature Spd+ Attack- and the nature pop up to help users.

the second thing would be a Weakness command im a voice and i am constantly answering questions like what is the weakness for ground or does ghost have any weaknesses etc. Im not doing this just to be lazy as in i cant handle it but it would be nice to add something like this. /w Normal (Fighting) if you have any questions please feel free to reply back. thanks you for your time
Skalayle
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Postby GoldenSandslash15 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:49 pm

^ Adding to this.

Skalayle wrote:The first thing i would like to recommend. I think there should be like a nature command /nature Spd+ Attack- and the nature pop up to help users. And vice versa, so that /nature Timid would return "Speed+, Attack-" and the like. Better yet, make it /data <nature>, so that way we don't have to learn multiple commands.

the second thing would be a Weakness command im a voice and i am constantly answering questions like what is the weakness for ground or does ghost have any weaknesses etc. Im not doing this just to be lazy as in i cant handle it but it would be nice to add something like this. /w Normal (Fighting) if you have any questions please feel free to reply back. thanks you for your time Perhaps a /typechart command that links you to a type chart. That way you don't have to hard-code each individual exception, and maybe at the bottom of the type chart would be a list of type changers (Soak, Color Change, Conversion, etc.) and a list of abilities and items that affect the type matchups (Levitate, Wonder Guard, Lightningrod, Sap Sipper, Ring Target, etc.)
Avatar made by User of Shadows.

From The Smog, Issue 32: "Now there is no excuse for anyone to post discussions on the PS! Forums nobody cares nor reads about."

Yeah, it's not like that's incredibly rude and offensive or anything... >_<
User avatar
GoldenSandslash15
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Southern California

PreviousNext

Return to Pokémon Showdown

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cheezyfries and 11 guests