My RU Team

Post your Pokémon Showdown teams for review and discussion.

Postby MegoGames » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Im not very good at making teams, so I attempted to make an RU team. It Actually worked decently, so I want some help to see how I can make it better. When I make teams, I just use what works, so I don't have a designated psyhical attacker and such, but I can describe what they do on the field. So, I will now explain my team:

The Whole Team:

The Individual Pokemon:

Simon (Sigilyph) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SAtk/ 4 SDef
Modest Nature
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Roost
Air Slash

Sigilyph. I have made people cry with this thing. In Ubers. This sigilyph does need some setup, but if it gets enough, this thing will wreck you. Stored power does some crazy equation that I do not undersatnd, but from what I get, the higher the stat boosts, the higher the power of the attack. So with cosmic power raising its Special Defense and its regular defense, this pokemon will not take much damage. And if it does take damage, you have roost to heal you back up to full health. But, for those dark types, you have air slash to be able to deal some damage. Somebody suggested charge beam since it has a chance of boosting Special Attack, but Air slash does more damage, it has stab, and has a high critical hit ratio. I have Life Orb on it because it boosts stored power even more, and because of Magic Guard, does not deal Sigilyph any damage. One hell of a beast if you can get enough cosmic powers in.

Isabelle (Illumise) (F) @Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
Roost
Subsititue
Encore
Toxic

This Illumise is meant to do some non-attacking damage. It's ability allows it to move first for all of its moves, so speed is not an issue. It uses Toxic immidately, because it will survive with the focus sash. If the foe uses a stat boosting move, it goes for the encore, allowing another one of my pokemon to take the defenseless pokemon down. Or, it could go for the roost to heal up any damage taken. Either way, this Illumise can setup some crippling things, and is a decent addition to my team. It is expendable, and does not need to survive very long to be useful.

Kyle (Kabutops) (M) @Leftovers
Ability: Weak Armor
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adament Nature
Aqua Jet
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
Swords Dance

This Kabutops can do some hefty pshyical damage. If it sets up a single swords dance, it can do massive damage to a lot of pokemon. Aqua jet allows it to move quickly, and that is crucial when facing faster pokemon. Its Weak Armor allows it to also move faster with stone edge if nescesary, and do some good damage to grass pokemon that might pose as a threat. It can also lay down the rocks for switch in damage. This pokemon is mediocre, and I think has some room for improvement.

TakeABump (Cradilly) (M) @Focus Sash Fixed In Comments
Ability: Suction Cups
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
Recover
Curse
Seed Bomb
Rock Slide

Cradilly. Another pokemon that uses some setup. I got sweeped by this pokemon before, and it made me angry. But, a sweeping pokemon that makes you angry could be a good addition to a team, so dedicated to the user TakeABump, we have Cradilly. This cradillys main feature is stockpile. Getting some massive defensive stats on an already bulky special defensive pokemon is huge. Then, add on the swords dance and you are ready to go. Recover is there for health, and rock slide will just do a lot of damage. This pokemon also has Suction Cups rather then Storm Drain to prevent the loss of stat boosts by attacks like Roar and Whirlwind. Overall, this pokemon is near the same as my Sigilyph, in that it needs some setup, but once it gets some stat boosts, it is nearly indestructible.

Lyre (Luxray) (M) @ Toxic Orb Fixed In Comments
Abillity: Guts
EV's: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Sdef
Jolly Nature
Fire Fang
Ice Fang
Wild Charge
Crunch

This Luxray is a basic pokemon. It has a wide range of Phsyical attacks, and the flame orb + guts makes them even stronger. I chose flame orb over toxic orb because not only does burn do less damage then badly poisoned, but the ability Guts also negates the attack drop from burn. This pokemon has a large coverage, and its strongest move (Wild Charge) Also gets STAB boost for it, along with guts. It truly can deal out some damage.

Tanya (Torkoal) (F) @ Charcoal Fixed In Comments
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Gentle Nature
Lava Plume
Rapid Spin
Will-O-Wisp
Earthquake

This torkoal isn't the best, but it does well as a mixed attacker. It has Charcoal which not only gives STAB to lava plume, but then multiplies it by 1.2. This torkoal can also put pokemon to sleep, and burn them. I have both because if I encounter a pokemon with an ability like Insomnia, Early Bird or Guts, I can use the move that does not help them. This pokemon is pretty bulky and can take many attacks, so it is a good pokemon to have

Well, thats my team. If you have any advice for it, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, this team has won 4/7 times, but I still see room for improvement.

When given a suggestment, I will change the movesets, abilitys and items, but the paragraph will stay the same. Just thought I should let people know if you got confused that the paragraph was different from the moveset.
Last edited by MegoGames on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MegoGames

Postby jjoshcja » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:59 pm

curse over stockpile on cradily could let you add a 2nd attack/status move/whatever, it also really wants leftovers instead of focus sash.

Toxic orb vs flame orb, you have to stay in for 3 turns for toxic to do the same damage as flame. lux is more of a hit and run type dude.

Possibly HP fighting over air slash for sig if its just to hit dark types?
jjoshcja

Postby MegoGames » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:07 pm

jjoshcja wrote:curse over stockpile on cradily could let you add a 2nd attack/status move/whatever, it also really wants leftovers instead of focus sash.

Toxic orb vs flame orb, you have to stay in for 3 turns for toxic to do the same damage as flame. lux is more of a hit and run type dude.

I thought about curse, but decided against it. If people think its the better choice, then I will switch it. I didn't know that the toxic orb took that long, so that looks like a clear switch. And I never really thought about HP Fighting on Simon, that also seems like a really good idea.
MegoGames

Postby jjoshcja » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:15 pm

MegoGames wrote:
jjoshcja wrote:curse over stockpile on cradily could let you add a 2nd attack/status move/whatever, it also really wants leftovers instead of focus sash.

I thought about curse, but decided against it. If people think its the better choice, then I will switch it. I didn't know that the toxic orb took that long, so that looks like a clear switch. And I never really thought about HP Fighting on Simon, that also seems like a really good idea.

Curse on cradily is pretty solid due to its already superbuff spec def.
jjoshcja

Postby i am not » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Ok well rmt time!
I generally play ou, so I'm gonna give mostly my expertise on pokemon, not the spacifically ru threats.
Forgive me if I say something stupid.

Ok onto the rate:
Sliglymph: I have nightmares about this name being on a spelling test. I think that it will benifit your team to run psycoshift over air slash and flame orb over life orb, this adds to team support by offering 100% accurate burns and that ability prevents damage, it also stops Twave from whatever, if you wish, throw a toxic orb on instead and give a dash of 100% accurate toxic! All while preventing sleep freeze and paralisis! So yeah consider it.

Illuminise: I honestly have no expiriance with illuminise, but I assume it workes like sableye in ou. But with weaknesses. One note, roost and focus sash seem odd, if it brings you to the sash, recovery wont save you but again I have no expiriance with it. (Can illuminise learn endeavor? That would be epic here.)

Kabutops: I used an identical set once, but with rapid spin>stealth rocks. Oddly enough, the team has two spinners, nither know rapid spin. Why?

Cradily: give it curse, and rocks, remove the other boosting moves, give it rocks, give tops rapid spin.

Luxeray: takes me back to beating the elite four in pearl. Well i guess that's the standard set

Torkoal: another potential rapid spinner nm to say.
If you win because of a crit or some other form of luck, than you win.

If you win despite a crit or some other form of luck, than you are a true master.
i am not

Postby MegoGames » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 am

i am not wrote:Ok well rmt time!
I generally play ou, so I'm gonna give mostly my expertise on pokemon, not the spacifically ru threats.
Forgive me if I say something stupid.

Ok onto the rate:
Sliglymph: I have nightmares about this name being on a spelling test. I think that it will benifit your team to run psycoshift over air slash and flame orb over life orb, this adds to team support by offering 100% accurate burns and that ability prevents damage, it also stops Twave from whatever, if you wish, throw a toxic orb on instead and give a dash of 100% accurate toxic! All while preventing sleep freeze and paralisis! So yeah consider it.

I'm not entirely sure why the two other orbs would be good. It has magic guard, not bounce, so it would not do anything.

luminise: I honestly have no expiriance with illuminise, but I assume it workes like sableye in ou. But with weaknesses. One note, roost and focus sash seem odd, if it brings you to the sash, recovery wont save you but again I have no expiriance with it. (Can illuminise learn endeavor? That would be epic here.)

I now see that the sash is a little odd, but what would I replace it with? I need another item that would help to make Illumise's cause even more useful.

Kabutops: I used an identical set once, but with rapid spin>stealth rocks. Oddly enough, the team has two spinners, nither know rapid spin. Why?

Honestly, I donn't know what pokemon are spinners, and what are not. The only spinners I have ever known and put on a team on purpose, were foretress and donphan (Which worked a lot better then some people think) So Looking at my team, they can take rocks and spikes, because only torkoal would have an issue with rocks, and that is fine by me. I'll keep rocks on Kabutops, and wont give him rapid spin.

Cradily: give it curse, and rocks, remove the other boosting moves, give it rocks, give tops rapid spin.

I gave him curse, and took your advice about swords dance. Curse will already boost Attack, so why have two moves that do the same thing? I replaced Swords Dance with Seed Bomb, for more STAB moves.

Luxeray: takes me back to beating the elite four in pearl. Well i guess that's the standard set

Since you have nothing much to say, neither do I :D

Torkoal: another potential rapid spinner nm to say.

I gave torkoal rapid spin over yawn, because while Yawn often forces a switch out, Will-O-Wisp proves to be more useful.
MegoGames

Postby ladderLCladder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:30 am

Well, here goes nothing.
Sigilyph: Use psycho shift over air slash. Or if you want to go offensive use calm mind/psyshock or air slash/roost/psycho shift.
Illumise- Only use it for baton passing, change it.
Kabutops: Use it as a spinner or nothing.
Cradily- Not a great sweeper, use it as a utility pokemon.
Luxray-It sucks in NU, even more so in RU.
Torkoal-Two spinners. Wut.
Edit the OP, you need to change a few pokes.
ladderLCladder

Postby i am not » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Magic guard means you won't be damaged by status, psycho shift gives the opponent your status, so the orbs won't hurt you, while granting status immunity(sleep freeze paralisis) and letting you inflict the status of choice(burn or poison) to any opponent. Burn helps beat phisical foes, toxic mauls walls. Personally I use burn.

Trust me it does something.

Keep sash on illuminise, but give either torkoal or kabutops rapid spin. Rocks will break any sash, so spinning helps, I would give it to kabutops and give rocks to cradily over seed bomb, or give it to torkoal

If you win despite a crit or some other form of luck, than you are a true master.
i am not

Postby i am not » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:12 pm

ladderLCladder wrote:Well, here goes nothing.
Sigilyph: Use psycho shift over air slash. Or if you want to go offensive use calm mind/psyshock or air slash/roost/psycho shift.
Illumise- Only use it for baton passing, change it.
Kabutops: Use it as a spinner or nothing.
Cradily- Not a great sweeper, use it as a utility pokemon.
Luxray-It sucks in NU, even more so in RU.
Torkoal-Two spinners. Wut.
Edit the OP, you need to change a few pokes.

What he means is baton pass tail glow to a sweeper. That's 2.5x special attack boost. Bp two tail glows, and onown becomes a threat. But you need a special sweeper to make use of it (is yanmega allowed in this tier? Yanma?) so shop for one and make illuminise like this

Illuminise@focus sash
252hp, 252 spe 4 def
Tail glow
Baton pass
Taunt
Encore

Come in on a boosting move, use encore, next tail glow as he switches, tail glow as he brings you to the sash, baton pass the boosts to a sweeper that needs them, 4x nutral hit brings death to the non believers!

Not sure if he gets taunt, but if not use some attack so you aren't taunt bait, it should be a special attack to abuse dem boosts. If he does, use taunt when you feel a parish song comeing on or when you fear an opponent will taunt you, watch out if you are wrong.

i am not

Postby archer159 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Illumise doesn't learn Tail Glow, Volbeat does, so Illumise can not be used for that purpose.

In any event, I do not believe Illumise should be used in RU at all, nor should Volbeat.

If Baton Pass were used on this team, the team would be too susceptible to phasing, given the amount of setup sweepers it has--Kabutops, Sigilyph, Cradily, etc.. Also, given that Sigilyph is the only special sweeper on the team, it would be quite clear whom the baton pass would go to. In such an event, the opponent could easily predict and severely damage Sigilyph on the baton pass.

A suitable replacement (although without prankster) is the amazing Uxie, who is much more able to withstand hits than Illumise.
If rapid spin is indeed placed on Kabutops instead of stealth rock, a good Uxie set would be Stealth Rock/Toxic/Protect/U-turn with leftovers.

This Uxie set will still be able to land a toxic, and will stay around much longer. It also is able to provide a switch when needed instead of sacrificing it with u-turn. You can use a nature that lowers speed in order for u-turn to provide a safe switch, as Uxie's speed is quite high. Protect is used in this set to stall out toxic damage and also leftovers recovery.
archer159

Postby i am not » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 pm

archer159 wrote:Illumise doesn't learn Tail Glow, Volbeat does, so Illumise can not be used for that purpose.

In any event, I do not believe Illumise should be used in RU at all, nor should Volbeat.
thanks, I always get the two confused

If Baton Pass were used on this team, the team would be too susceptible to phasing, given the amount of setup sweepers it has--Kabutops, Sigilyph, Cradily, etc.. Also, given that Sigilyph is the only special sweeper on the team, it would be quite clear whom the baton pass would go to. In such an event, the opponent could easily predict and severely damage Sigilyph on the baton pass.

A suitable replacement (although without prankster) is the amazing Uxie, who is much more able to withstand hits than Illumise.
If rapid spin is indeed placed on Kabutops instead of stealth rock, a good Uxie set would be Stealth Rock/Toxic/Protect/U-turn with leftovers.

This Uxie set will still be able to land a toxic, and will stay around much longer. It also is able to provide a switch when needed instead of sacrificing it with u-turn. You can use a nature that lowers speed in order for u-turn to provide a safe switch, as Uxie's speed is quite high. Protect is used in this set to stall out toxic damage and also leftovers recovery.

i am not

Return to Rate My Team