People leaving fights.

Discuss anything related to Pokémon Showdown!

Postby Targaerys » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Well, it may sound stupid but I really hate people in Unrated Random battles they just give up at first turn because their pokemon died 1hit, or they have been poisoned/paralyzed/frozen... They instaleave with no apparent reason, is there a way to ban/report this kind of people without requesting? I mean, it's annoying because you're just having fun without being rated and people leaves because they're losing, and then you have to wait 5 mins to claim your victory. I'm just asking if it's possible to create a leavebuster that temporaly bans you from join the battles, you know like, you left 3 games this day with no reason, you can't play in the next 10 mins, then the more leaves in a day, the more time you're banned from battle queue.

ALBUM
Targaerys

Postby The-Me » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:17 pm

There's been discussion on this earlier.

If you are playing rated battles like randbats, you should be happy your opponent leaves, that gives you a free win and that increases your ranking. Your opponent leaving has no downside for you, unless you count "I can't have a fun match :(" as a downside. And if you do, please note that while you may think the match will be fun, your opponent may (and has the right to) disagree. And that's why they leave.

Look at it this way: It is boring for you to wait, like, 3 minutes to claim your victory. Now, think about how boring it's going to be to play the rest of the game knowing that you have practically no way of winning the match? It is quite boring, believe me, especially if you want to have many battles per day. If you have dozens of matches per day, you do not want to waste any time on a match you cannot win.

And, even in chess, it's a good sports to forfeit if you cannot win.

So sorry: no. I do not think there will ever be any penalty for leaving a battle (other than losing ranking points).
わたし わ テーマ です
Aurorus has Snow Warning and will make it to OU? NOT ON MY WATCH. Avatar stolen from UOS, using extreme violence.
Arcticblast wrote:LET MY INSULT GUIDE YOU TO VICTORY
The-Me

Postby Kingler12345 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:36 am

The-Me wrote:There's been discussion on this earlier.

If you are playing rated battles like randbats, you should be happy your opponent leaves, that gives you a free win and that increases your ranking. Your opponent leaving has no downside for you, unless you count "I can't have a fun match :(" as a downside. And if you do, please note that while you may think the match will be fun, your opponent may (and has the right to) disagree. And that's why they leave.

Look at it this way: It is boring for you to wait, like, 3 minutes to claim your victory. Now, think about how boring it's going to be to play the rest of the game knowing that you have practically no way of winning the match? It is quite boring, believe me, especially if you want to have many battles per day. If you have dozens of matches per day, you do not want to waste any time on a match you cannot win.

So sorry: no. I do not think there will ever be any penalty for leaving a battle (other than losing ranking points).

Um, it's kinda different in chess. Whatever. Anyways, there's been a discussion about this in suggestions, here: http://pokemonshowdown.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12 Go to the last page.
Kingler12345

Postby The-Me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:55 am

Kingler12345 wrote:
The-Me wrote:There's been discussion on this earlier.

Um, it's kinda different in chess. Whatever. Anyways, there's been a discussion about this in suggestions, here: http://pokemonshowdown.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12 Go to the last page.

That's all you have to say, Kingler? About chess?

Anyway, I was referring to situations where you only have like a King left and your opponent has a few pawns or something else and you know you cannot win. So instead of stalling turns and time, you forfeit to show good sports.

idk,idc
わたし わ テーマ です
Aurorus has Snow Warning and will make it to OU? NOT ON MY WATCH. Avatar stolen from UOS, using extreme violence.
The-Me

Postby Kingler12345 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:42 am

I've played chess lol, it's not like that. Anyways, this thread should be closed.
Kingler12345

Postby i am not » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Penalizing someone for ragequiting is like being angry at someone who gave you a free hotdog.
You win, you get rank points, you get another match, you have a nice day.
Period, end of discussion
If you win because of a crit or some other form of luck, than you win.

If you win despite a crit or some other form of luck, than you are a true master.
i am not

Postby GoldenSandslash15 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Actually, in Chess, when you're down to just your King, unless your opponent has a TON of pieces (like, more than four), it's quite easy to get into a draw, so it's not a total loss.

From The Smog, Issue 32: "Now there is no excuse for anyone to post discussions on the PS! Forums nobody cares nor reads about."

Yeah, it's not like that's incredibly rude and offensive or anything... >_<
GoldenSandslash15

Postby The-Me » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:00 am

This is the last time I refer to chess on Pokemon Showdown.
わたし わ テーマ です
The-Me

Postby Tabaluga » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:31 am

I mean, it's annoying because you're just having fun without being rated and people leaves because they're losing, and then you have to wait 5 mins to claim your victory.

Then just leave. You answered yourself that winning doesn't matter in unrated. Just go make a sandwich or take that bathroom break you've been putting off in the meantime if winning an unrated battle is important to you.
Tabaluga

Postby LCLCLCLCladdering » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:50 am

The-Me wrote:This is the last time I refer to chess on Pokemon Showdown.

Agreed. Checkmate.
Because of my, um, post count on my main account(which I've been bugged about), I, kingler12345, am going to start going on the forums with this account.
LCLCLCLCladdering

Return to Pokémon Showdown